Select Board Responsibilities
The board of selectmen’s formal, legal responsibilities are scattered throughout hundreds of statutes and in a town’s bylaws, home rule charter, and in the special laws (special acts) enacted by the Legislature for a particular town. Boards of selectmen have general supervision over all matters that are not specifically delegated by law, or by vote of the town, to another office of board.
While the specific role of the selectman is broad, it varies from town to town. Generally, boards of selectmen have at least several important responsibilities under state law: the power to prepare the town meeting warrant; the power to make appointments to town boards and offices; the power to employ professional administrative staff and town counsel; the power to sign warrants for the payment of all town bills; and the authority to grant licenses and permits.
Select Board Priorities 2017-2018 (FY18)
Accountability and Operational Oversight
Select Board will:
- Continue to work in conjunction with Personnel Committee to improve/establish system for annual reviews of town department heads
- Increase frequency of town audit to every two years and eventually every one year (in conjunction with FinComm and financial team).
Select Board will:
- Conduct a listening session during the year to get input from residents
- Send agenda announcements with link to town calendar to Next Door Shutesbury
- Continue to work to establish expectations regarding public access/engagement and availability of information (public comment; posting of agendas/minutes; availability of materials). In particular, work to post more town documents, especially financial information, to town website
The Select Board will initiate or encourage committees/Town Administrator to take action on the following projects:
- Improvements to interior of town hall to make healthier and more welcoming
- Installation of a cell phone tower behind Town Hall
- Installation of 1-2 electric car charging stations in town
- Installation of Tesla photovoltaic roof shingles for town-owned buildings
- Conduct cost analysis and other aspects related to town-owned solar installation
- Research Shutesbury joining Solarize Mass program
Select Board members
Michael DeChiara, Chair
Melissa Makepeace O'Neil, Vice Chair
Select Board meets biweekly at 6:30 PM at Town Hall, usually on Tuesdays. Most meetings begin with an Open Comment period in which members of the public are encouraged to share information or thoughts with the Select Board. All meetings can be found on the Town Calendar.
Minutes are listed on the Meeting option on the navigation bar for the website