Planning Board's Role and Responsibilities
The Shutesbury Planning Board is an elected board consisting of seven members. There are currently no alternate members. The Planning Board is responsible for the following functions:
- Master Planning: Periodic generation and updating of the town's Master Plan
- Zoning Amendments: Development of amendments to the town's Zoning Bylaw, as needed, including conducting of hearings, and making presentation to Town Meeting. Conducting public hearings for citizen petitions regarding zoning amendments and making recommendations to Town Meeting.
- Subdivision Regulations: Periodic development and amendments, as needed, to the Subdivision regulations
- Approval Not Required (ANR) Plans: Review and approval of plans that create building lots from land along public roadways in Shutesbury. (Most dwellings in Shutesbury are on such lots)
- Subdivision Plans: Plans that create new building lots from land along newly built subdivision roadways
- Site Plan Review: Review and approval of projects that require site plan review
- Special Permits: Review and approval of projects that require a special permit (by two thirds super majority vote)
- Special Projects: Related to land use planning
Bylaws and Regulations
Zoning Bylaws and Amendments
- Zoning Bylaw (2021). Print copies are available for $15. from Town Clerk's office.
- 2021 Associate Member zoning bylaw - proposed amendment language / description / committee report June 2, 2021
- 2021 Access to Use zoning bylaw - proposed amendment language / description / committee report June 2, 2021
- 2020 Large Scale Ground Mounted Solar Electric Installations -. (First added in 2016, amended in 2019, and amended/approved by Town Meeting June 27, 2020). Solar installation district map (approved June 27, 2020)
- 2020 Sign Bylaw (approved warrant article version) - amended by Town Meeting June 27, 2020
- 2020 Open Space Design (draft warrant article version)- amended by Town Meeting June 27, 2020
Shutesbury Zoning Map (Adopted March 24, 2009)
- Large PDF 12 megabytes
- Very Large JPEG 40 megabytes - 34"x44" image
- Solar installation district map (approved June 27, 2020)
Information and Resources related to Shutesbury Zoning Bylaws
- Understanding Open Space Design
- Open Space Design Worksheet [download to enter calculations in the .pdf form]
- Regulations Governing the Subdivision of Land (updated 2008)
Approval Not Required (ANR) Regulations
- ANR Regulations (2001)
Application Forms & Application Information
The first step in applying for a permit is to understand the Shutesbury Zoning Bylaw and how it applies to your situation. A printed version may be obtained from the Town Clerk for a fee, or it can be downloaded from this web page. If you have questions about zoning that need clarification for the application, you may contact the Chair.
Once you have understood the Bylaws regarding your interests, you should take the following steps.
- Complete the application form for the type of request sought
- Gather all of the necessary documentation required for your application.
- Obtain a certified abutters list, if required
- Submit your application, supporting documentation and abutters list to the Town Clerk and pay the application fee. Digital submission may be required and is often preferred, if possible; please check with the Town Clerk and Planning Board Chair.
Forms and Materials for Applications:
- Planning Board Site Plan Review Application.pdf
- Planning Board/ZBA Site Plan Review Checklist.pdf
- Planning Board Special Permit Application.pdf - note: In addition to the required hardcopy submission, the Planning Board requires a full electronic copy of any Special Permit Application and additional materials be submitted to the Town Clerk.
- Planning Board Special Permit Checklist.pdf
- Open Space Design Worksheet
- Approval Not Required - Form A
- Preliminary Subdivision Form
- Definitive Subdivision Form
- **Subdivision forms - All related
- *Special Permit Fee Schedule*
Complete Shutesbury Master Plan, including maps (18 megabyte PDF file) - (as of June 2004)
Sections: Table of Contents, Executive Summary, Natural Resources and Open Spaces, Economic Development, Housing, Community Facilities and Services, Transportation, Historic and Scenic Resources, Land Use and Zoning, Appendix A - Execytuve Summary, Appendix B - Biodiversity Days, Appendix C - Economic Development, Appendix D - Housing, Appendix E - ADA Plan (future), Appendix F - Transportation
Master Plan Working Group's Shutesbury Community Vision Report (endorsed by Planning Board, 6/12/2017; approved by the Select Board, 7/11/2017, with the modification that "the MPWG further develop specific topics and strategies" for the Town's implementation)
Current & Recent Projects Before the Board
All projects are reviewed at posted public meetings or posted public hearings. The public is invited to attend public meetings and hearings for projects currently under consideration. Minutes of past meetings can be found here.
The Planning Board reviews projects as they are submitted. Projects listed below are considered significant given their size or community-wide interest. Approval Not Required (ANR) projects do not require a hearing. While all special permits require a public hearing that is publicly noticed, some small scale/residential projects may not be listed below.
- 2020: Subdivision: Dean Brook - Pratt Corner Rd, ZG-2 -- plan, map
- 2020: Subdivision: Roaring - Carver Rd West, ZD-37 -- plan, map
- 2020: Subdivision: Baker Brook - West Pelham Rd, ZQ-6 & Q-70 -- plan, map
- 2020: Subdivision: Nurse Brook - Pratt Corner Rd, ZW-6 -- plan, map
- 2019: Vertex Towers - Wendell Road