Here are a few safety tips to remember in buying or using space heaters:
* When buying a space heater, look for one that has been tested and approved by a recognized testing company.
* Place a space heater at least 36” from drapes, furniture, and other flammable materials. Seventy percent (70%) of fires caused by portable space heaters were from combustible materials such as bedding, rubbish or furniture that was too close to the heater.
* Set a space heater on a level surface in an area where it will not get bumped into or knocked over.
* If you have to use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord rated at least as high as the amperage rating on the heater itself. Fifteen percent (15%) of fires from portable heaters were caused by over-loaded extension cords.
* Do NOT leave the unit running while unattended, or while you are sleeping.