Shutesbury participates in Amherst's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day for disposal of most hazardous items. You must register in advance to take advantage of their yearly collection event.
But . . .
you can drop off the following items at Town Hall any time it's open!
- Lithium (Li-Ion) & button batteries, typically used in watches, calculators, cell phones, and hearing aids
- Rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries, typically used in cameras, toys, and cordless power tools
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Medical thermometers (fluid elemental mercury), wall thermostats (mercury switches), and other mercury-bearing items
Do not drop off
- Alkaline batteries — such as AA, AAA, and C, typically used in games or toys, flashlights, and smoke detectors — which should be discarded in your trash.
- Incandescent light bulbs which should be discarded in your trash.
- Inkjet and laser cartridges which can be dropped off at the Shutesbury Elementary School — or taken to Staples (Hadley & Northampton) or to Ink and Toner Solutions (Amherst & Northampton).